26. april 2006

So much to write , so little time

Einstein was definitly wrong in his theories. Time is for sure not an abstract dimension. Time is very concrete and limited. If someone can find a way to make my time abstract for a week or two I would be very satisfied. Sometimes what seems to be an easy task turns out to be quite the opposite. I am really sweating over my semester paper in media science/journalism.
I am working on an academic approach to pressphotography, based upon a comparativ analysis of what kind of, or the themes in, award winning pictures. I have some hypothesis on the subject, but I can find very little support on this elsewhere. The trouble is that most of the litterature concerning photography totally ignore the pressphotography as important. The documentary photography on the other hand is well covered, but there is a thin, fine line between those genres. The litterature are either technical, ethical or uses examples of great photos of the past. Contemporary photos are not under the attention of the academic enviroment, or at least so it seems. Further it seems that nobody have ever written about the pressphotography explicit in a sociological context. The few examples I can find is either old (more than ten years) or so contradictive to the findings I have made in my studies so far, that they are of no use to me. I am very aware of Roland Barthes, but it is not the rethorical aspect I am looking at. I am searching for tendencies or development in the pressphotography when comes to presentation and choice of content. My suspiscion is that the pressphotos themselves can not be looked upon as journalistic pictures when taken out of their context. More specific, away from the text they are illustrating. They do not tell their own story, but acts as supplements. So it is easy to fall in trap of looking at the development of the modern medias instead of keep to the narrow road, and just investigate the pictures. Or maybe that is where the road ends? The social context is another aspect that have to be taken in consideration, but again that is not what I am looking for in the first hand. Perhaps there is nothing to find unless one takes on the priorities in the modern information society as the challenge?

Pheeew! It felt good to blow of some steam. Back to work. Maybe I am doing something new work on this field :) after all we are allowed to draw our own conclussions, and not depend on others work all the time...

Ingen kommentarer: